It is interesting to note a number of brief, compact passages of Holy Scripture that nevertheless pack strong, powerful messages. Consider the following (all from the New King James Version of the Bible).
* Genesis 18:25b: "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?"
* Proverbs 16:18: "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall."
* Proverbs 22:7: "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant of the lender." (Did you ever take out a 25- or 30-year home mortgage?J )
* John 11:35: "Jesus wept" (Message: Christ was tenderhearted and sympathetic; so should we be.)
* Acts 20:35c: "It is more blessed to give than to receive."
* I Corinthians 14:33: "For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints." (Question: Have you ever asked yourself, "Did all of the different kinds of churches and religions really originate with God?")
* Ephesians 4:26: "Be angry and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath."
* Ephesians 5:1: "Therefore be followers (imitators) of God as dear children."
* Philippians 2:14-15: "Do all things without murmuring and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world."
* Colossians 3:17: "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father, through Him."
* Colossians 3:23: "And whatever you do, do it heartily to the Lord and not to men."
* I Thessalonians 5:16: "Rejoice always."
* I Thessalonians 5:17: "Pray without ceasing." (Translation: Don't leave prayer behind; don't leave prayer out of your life.)
* I Thessalonians 5:21: "Test (prove) all things; hold fast what is good." (Meaning: Don't be gullible when it comes to spiritual matters.)
* I Thessalonians 5:22: "Abstain from every form of evil." (Note: Just because the Bible does not specifically mention a thing as being a sin does not mean that it isn't. Use a little common sense.)
* Hebrews 10:31: "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."
A passage of Scripture does not have to be long in order to convey a strong message. Let us learn from the short verses of the Bible.
September 30: Cottontown Churchof Christ, Cottontown, TN
October 7: Red Hill Church of Christ, Manchester, TN (p.m. only)
September 18, 2012