Jesus Christ lies at the heart of God's great meta-narrative of redemption about which we wrote last week. Since He does, all people need to know the following Bible truths about Christ.
1. He co-existed with God from all eternity in a pre-incarnate (pre-fleshly) state. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God" (John 1:1-2).
2. He became flesh and dwelt among us. "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us…." (John 1:14). This was accomplished through means of the virgin birth. "And the angel said to her, 'Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son and call His name Jesus…Then Mary said to the angel, 'How can this be, since I do not know (have not had sexual relations with, hf) a man?' And the angel answered and said to her, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God"(Luke 1:30-35).
3. He lived a sinless, perfect life. "Who committed no sin, nor was guile found in His mouth" (I Peter 2:22, quoting Isaiah 53:9).
4. He spoke the words of life. "The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life" (John 6:63b). "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life" (John 6:68).
5. He died to atone for the sins of all mankind. "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).
6. He was given an appropriate burial. "And when Joseph (of Arimathea, hf) had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, and laid it in his own new tomb which he had hewn out of the rock; and he rolled a large stone against the door of the tomb and departed" (Matthew 27:59-60).
7. He arose from the grave. "For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received; that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures" (I Corinthians 15:3-4).
8. He ascended back to the Father in heaven. "And when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud receive Him out of sight" (Acts 1:9).
9. He ascended to receive and to reign over His kingdom. (Daniel 7:13-14). This kingdom is not earthly or secular but spiritual, being comprised of all who have obeyed the gospel of Christ, been saved from their sins, and added to the church (John 18:36; Colossians 1:13-14; Acts 2:47).
10. He ever lives to make intercession for us. "Therefore He is able to save to the uttermost those who come to God by Him, seeing He ever lives to make intercession for them" (Hebrews 7:22).
11. He will come again. "This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you have seen Him go into heaven" (Acts1:11).
12. He will judge the world and deliver the kingdom to God the Father (II Timothy 4:1; I Corinthians15:24-26).
October 9, 2012