Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Can We Know Anything for Sure?

In 1962, Karl Barth (1886-1968), Swiss Reformed theologian, made his one and only visit to the United States.  During the course of his visit, some young American theologians asked him that of all the millions of words he had written and published how would he best summarize it all.  Reflecting for a moment, Barth replied simply: "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so." Barth professed that he knew something, and that he knew it because the Bible said so!

Using Barth's basis for knowing that Jesus loved him ("because the Bible tells me so"), let me suggest that because the Bible tells me so, I knowthat . . .

* In the beginning there was God (Genesis 1:1; John 1:1-3).

* God has spoken, giving further evidence to the fact of His existence, since a non-entity does not speak (Hebrews 1:1-2).

* Without faith that God is and that He rewards those who diligently seek Him I cannot please Him (Hebrews 11:6). 

* Jesus Christ is the Son of God (Matthew 3:17; 17:5).

* God, because of His great love for mankind, gave Christ to the world as the atoning sacrifice for my sins and the sins of the world (John3:16; Romans 3:21-26; 5:8; I John 2:2).

* Christ is the only way to God and the sole source of salvation (John 14:6; Acts 4:11-12).

* Without faith in Christ I will die in my sins (John 8:24).

* Without repentance I will perish eternally in hell (Luke 13:3; Romans 2:5-10).

* Baptism is for (eis=unto) the remission of sins (Acts 2:3822:16).

* Baptism is immersion in water (Acts 8:38-39; Romans 6:3-4).

* Christ established His church, purchasing it with His blood (Matthew 16:18; Acts 20:28).

* The church is singular and consists of every saved, blood-washed soul (Ephesians 4:4; 1:22-23; 2:14-22; Acts 2:47).

* I must possess the mind of Christ, have the Spirit of Christ, evince the fruit of the Spirit, and make my calling and election sure (Philippians 2:5; Romans 8:9; Galatians 5:22-26; II Peter 1:5-11).

* There is a final day of reckoning for all humanity (Acts 17:30-31; II Corinthians 5:10; Hebrews 9:27).

* Heaven is real and eternal and the final abode of all the redeemed (John 14:1-3; II Corinthians 5:1-8).

* Hell also is real and eternal and the ultimate destiny of all who know not God and obey not the gospel of Christ (II Thessalonians 1:6-10).

There is much about God that I do not know (Romans 11:33), and there is much about His revelation to mankind in scripture that I continue to grapple with, study, and grow in my understanding, appreciation, and practice of.  But the above are some things that I do know and know that I know because the Bible tells me so!

Hugh Fulford
January 17, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment