Monday, June 13, 2011

Football and A Perspective on Life - November 30, 2010

I appreciate the positive feedback I have received from so many of you regarding this little venture of mine intended to discuss a variety of topics. Repeating a statement from my initial mailing, this is simply an outlet for staying in touch with family, friends, neighbors, and fellow members of the church. Through it, I share news and express my views regarding various issues. The views are entirely mine and anyone is free to agree or disagree. Further, these mailings may be forwarded to anyone whom the reader thinks might be interested in receiving them. My mailing list is constantly being added to.

Today I want to talk about football, and will begin by saying a word or two about the color of the title under which I write. It is bright orange to reflect my loyalty to the "Big Orange" of the Tennessee Vols athletic teams. While "we" haven't been all that "big" in football for a while, we will be back—eventually. With a win against Kentucky this past Saturday, we did become bowl eligible, and the Music City Bowl in Nashville has been mentioned as a possible destination.

Someone says, "But Hugh, in your first 'send out' you indicated a loyalty to Alabama." Yeah, I know, it's hard for some to understand. You see, I was "born and bred" in Alabama and I always root for them EXCEPT WHEN THEY PLAY TENNESSEE and perhaps in a few other rare instances. My son—whose blood runs orange—loves to remind me that "no man can serve two masters."

In the Iron Bowl last Friday Auburn came from a big half-time deficit to squeak past Alabama by a single point! The Crimson Tide, with its Heisman winner Mark Ingram, has no chance to repeat as National Champs. Auburn is still in the hunt for the National title and their quarterback, Cameron Newton is a strong Heisman contender. I think it would be great if Auburn could win the national championship this year and produce the Heisman winner. And besides, Auburn is in what my friend Dale Jenkins likes to refer to as "the Great State"! Then, too, I know my other two friends (I do have at least three!), Larry Whitehead of Birmingham and Jim Johnson of Winchester, TN, both dyed-in-the-wool Auburn fans, would love to see it happen. But some other things yet have to occur, including Auburn getting past South Carolina in the SEC Championship game in Atlanta this Saturday afternoon. So, we shall see what we shall see. I just wanted you to know where I am coming from where my divided college football loyalties are concerned.

In the meantime, the soap opera continues with the Tennessee Titans. We have had "Pac Man," and now we have Randy Moss, who has yet to show us anything. Vince Young our quarterback is a multi-millionaire boy trying to compete in a man's world and needing badly to grow up. Whether he or Jeff Fisher the coach wins the battle of who goes or who stays or if they can "kiss and make up" remains to be seen.

On all of the above we need to keep a perspective. Mike Heimerdinger, the Titan's offensive coordinator, has recently been diagnosed with cancer and has begun chemotherapy. Vince Young's season-ending thumb injury pales in comparison to "The Dinger's" illness.

"And everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable" (I Cor. 9:25, NASB). In all of life we need to keep the main thing the main thing!

Hugh Fulford
November 30, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment