Monday, June 13, 2011

A New Year - January 4, 2010

It is hard to believe that another year has come and gone and that we are now in a new one. I think I have been saying something like the preceding every year for the last several years. It seems to come with age. I never enter a new year without thinking of the following untitled poem by Kathleen Wheeler.

He came to my desk with quivering lip--
The lesson was done.
"Dear Teacher I want a new leaf," he said,
"I have spoiled this one."
I took the old leaf, stained and blotted,
And gave him a new one all unspotted,
And into his sad eyes smiled,
"Do better now, my child."

I went to the throne with a quivering soul--
The old year was done.
"Dear Father, hast Thou a new leaf for me?
I have spoiled this one."
He took the old leaf, stained and blotted,
And gave me a new one all unspotted,
And into my sad heart smiled,
"Do better now, My child.

Paul Darety is the fine and faithful and effective preacher for the Pomona Church of Christ in Dickson, Tennessee. A few weeks ago, Paul had an excellent article in his church bulletin titled "Ways To Reduce Stress." It occurs to me that the things Paul mentioned would be good principles for each of us to follow throughout this new year. With all due credit to Paul, I share with you these points and commend them to us all.

* Pray often
* Go to bed on time
* Get up on time so you can start the day unrushed
* Say "no" to projects that won't fit into your time schedule, or that will compromise your mental health
* Delegate tasks to others who are capable of completing the job
* Simplify your life as much as possible
* Allow extra time to do things and to get to places
* Take one day at a time
* Live within your budget
* Be kind to unkind people
* Get enough exercise
* Eat right
* Talk less; listen to others more
* Take your work, not yourself, seriously
* Laugh loud and often
* Write down thoughts and inspirations
* Read your Bible everyday
* Remind yourself that you are not the manager of the universe

A Happy New Year to All! (See the P. S. below)

P. S. My wife's surgery to repair torn tendons and a badly damaged rotator cuff has been tentatively re-scheduled for Wednesday, January 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment